History of Harrods Estates
The story of Harrods Estates is almost as colourful as the world-renowned store we are named after. More than a century on, we continue to offer a wide range of property services with the highest standards of customer care.
The original Harrods Estates began in 1897, tucked away behind furnishings on the ground floor of the store. As the business expanded, it moved to new premises across the road in 1919, with its own property auction hall above.
During the 1930s, new branches opened in Haslemere, Manchester, Berkhamsted, Cheltenham, Monte Carlo and Le Touquet. Then disaster struck in 1944 when the Knightsbridge office received a direct hit from a V1 “Doodlebug” rocket, which demolished the building. Incredibly, nearly 300,000 packets of papers were retrieved from the rubble and Harrods Estates continued trading in temporary accommodation without missing a day of work.
By 1952, around 76 people worked for Harrods Estates, which by now had departments for Town, Country and Business, plus auctions, surveyors and management, furniture auctions and valuations.
Over the next 35 years, the head office was located in Basil Street in Knightsbridge and Park Lane before returning to its namesake store.
Then in 2001, Harrods Estates take over a new address in Brompton Road – just yards away from its original premises in 1919, directly opposite Harrods.
Natural growth has seen Harrods Estates open new branches since then, on Park Lane in Mayfair, enabling this long-established agency to spread its wings – mirroring prime London’s expansion - to include Mayfair, Marylebone, Regents Park, St Johns Wood and St James’s.